How to Develop a Great Mobile App: A Comparative Guide
Do you have any idea how to create a mobile application?
The chances that you will say NO are more!!
You are doubtful whether you have enough knowledge and skills to create it?
Do you wonder whether it is worth investing in the development of a mobile application ?
Even if you don’t understand anything about creating mobile applications, you still want to create it and need a good profit from it.
Unquestionably, it is definitely worth it!!
You need to create an application depending on what you want to get as a result. A mandatory technical requirement is the presence of a computer or laptop with an Internet connection and, of course, a smartphone on which you will experience the new element.
Hence, you should create a decent mobile application that could be the main tool for online interaction with customers or visitors.
Tell us, do you remember what your website visitors need?
No idea, Right??
They come because of the content or functionality of the resource. The visitors want information, buy something, examine and comment on photos of friends and so on. Similarly, mobile application users need the same thing. They seek information or make any kind of transaction.
Table of Contents
- What is a Mobile Application?
- Why do you need to create a Mobile Application?
- Preparatory stage
- Application development
- Launching and testing a mobile application
- Mobile App Promotion
- Monetization Options
- Wrapping Up
What is a Mobile Application?
The mobile Application is also termed as an App which is a kind of Application Software designed to run on mobile devices, like, tablets and smartphones, etc. The mobile applications present users with services related to those obtained on a PC, like, accessing email, online banking, or checking their calendar.
Mobile apps are generally small software with inadequate features, like designing for a definite purpose. Mobile applications are also termed as Web Apps, smartphone apps, iPhone apps, and online apps. Below are some of its features:
- have access to the hardware of the devices, that is, they can use the functions of the smartphone, such as a camera, microphone, geolocation, address, etc.,
- always exactly match all the capabilities of a particular device, optimized for specific operating systems.
- downloaded from the application store, while they have the ability to independently (offline) update information.
- they require an Internet connection to work because, in the absence of an Internet connection, the web functions do not work
- allow companies to combine the advantages of native applications with the durability or technological relevance provided by the latest web technologies.
Smartphone and tablet users download applications from developer sites or from stores. The most famous stores are Google Play and the App Store. The audience considers the apps from the stores safe, as moderators check the programs before publishing.
Why Do You Need to Create a Mobile Application?
As we have mentioned above, the mobile application is a new way to increase the customer-retention rate and earn profitable results. There is no point in letting this opportunity just go like this. So, be smart and get it as soon as possible.
To make the application, you need to follow these steps:
- Decide on the purpose and functionality of the future program, as well as the option of monetization, if it is planned.
- Choose a development agency or developer on which you can implement all this.
- Register and (if required) pay for the subscription.
- Select a template and fill it with content.
- Personalize it by adding a photo, logo, etc.
The finished application will need to be tested and eliminated possible errors, then it can be downloaded to the store and offer its current and potential customers its use.
How to Create a Mobile Application: Step-by-Step Guidelines
Having decided how to create an application in terms of technical means, you can proceed to its phased implementation.
This brainstorming is necessary before creating the application. The task of the stage is to find answers to the following questions:
- What is the purpose of creating an application for the company?
- Why do the customers need it? What will motivate them to install the application on the smartphone or tablet?
- What should the application be able for the user to easily get what they are looking for?
- What platforms should the application work on (for iOS, Android, Windows)?
- Which of the methods described above suits you and how much does it cost to create an application and its subsequent use?
- What service will be required after launch? For example, is it necessary to monitor the health of the work on a daily basis?
The objective of this stage is to look at the future application from the user’s point of view. After all, you are looking for the answer to the question “How to make a mobile application?” just so that the user installs it on his smartphone.
The practical step in creating applications is development. After a thorough analysis in the previous step, you already imagine the necessary functions and characteristics of the future product. And that means you can choose the designer taking into account them.
There are thematic and general patterns. For example, there is a special web designer for online stores, where every detail is already provided. Here, you can find templates for blogs, travel applications, the field of fitness and beauty, etc. It is worthwhile to carefully study them – maybe it will be enough just to add a little personality to the pages and the application is ready.
Launching and Testing a Mobile Application
Before the application sees the light, you need to make sure that it functions correctly. If there are serious errors in it, all the work will be in vain.
For testing, you need a smartphone with a connection to a computer. It can be replaced by a mobile device emulator on the monitor.
During testing, it is important to verify:
- How correctly all functions work;
- Does it work with all planned types of operating systems?
- Does it withstand increased user load;
- How various changes in the transmission speed or status of a mobile device affect its operation.
There are automated programs for testing applications. However, nothing can replace manual work. Ideally, it should be performed by a user who has not previously seen the interface and, moreover, did not participate in its development. If you choose a free option, ask someone you know about this service.
Mobile App Promotion
The idea to make an application was implemented not only in your company but also, the competition among developers is also very high. This is true not only for online stores and computer games but also for any other niche.
Therefore, how you will promote the application should be considered even at the preparation stage, and after the launch, regularly and sequentially implement the selected measures.
The main promotion option is advertising. It encourages the user to install the application. As advertising platforms, you can use Google, social networks, and related applications that may be of interest to your target audience.
But attracting is only half the battle. To turn the user who clicks the Install button into your loyal customer, you need a whole range of measures.
- regular updating of material, when it comes to an information application.
- periodic push notifications, for example, with information about discounts or promotions (not too often, otherwise the annoying application will be deleted from the phone).
- adding new features according to user needs.
- work with reviews on different platforms. Including negative ones, because they are especially carefully studied before installation.
We cannot overlook this perspective, creating something new demands a lot of money. But, you need to be clever enough not to spend much and be thoughtful.
Therefore, if you have already decided what you want to get as a result, you can safely proceed to this step.
When ordering from a developer, the cost is made up of:
- the complexity of the decision.
- terms (the product that “needed yesterday” always costs more),
- developer experience, and qualifications.
Turning to an undergraduate student or an experienced developer, in whose portfolio there are dozens of successful projects, you can hear the amounts that differ significantly. If your company is not a startup taking the first steps, it is better not to save on the contractor in such cases. The demanding public will immediately notice the mistakes.
There is a practice of offering an app developer who creates an application for a share of future profits. In this case, you can partially reduce your expenses at the preparatory stage.
There are several basic ways to monetize applications:
- Free app: Commonly used by large companies, and the app helps sell their products or services.
- Free application with ads: Used in popular applications that actively interact with the user.
- Paid app: The most popular and profitable type of monetization. Apple charges a 30% commission on every sale of your application.
- Lite and Pro: Lite application is free, but with a limited set of functions. When you buy Pro, you unlock all the functionality.
- Shopping within the application: You can sell new functionality or new levels of the game directly from the application.
Mobile applications are an important tool for modern business. They are produced not only by large companies but also by small startups, as well as just amateurs.
This does not require skills in working with code, but it is still desirable to understand the basic principles of application functioning.
The success of the application determines its usefulness and convenience for the user. If at the preparatory stage, the goals are defined correctly, then implementing the necessary set of functions is not a hard task.
Programs are presented on the market in all their diversity, but the free functionality of most of them is not enough to create an application of a decent level.
To get a quality product, you need to pay. Then you can create an application that in appearance and functionality is not inferior to the analogs of individual development.
Hopefully, you will like this piece of knowledge. If there are some doubts or suggestions, then do let us know.
Do share your experience with us. Thanks for reading!!
About the Author:
Morris Edwards is a Manager, dealing with website design & development, SEO, social media marketing, logo designing and more.